Before you know it the holidays will be gone. It’s the craziest, busiest and most indulgent time of the year. Which also makes it the hardest time of the year to put ourselves and our health first. But it’s actually extra important to keep yourself healthy and happy to be able to enjoy the season fully without worrying about what you have to do to take off those extra pounds you put on your most vulnerable areas!
But in a season when we’re surrounded by sweets and celebratory foods, we need a little extra support to make healthy choices. Which is why I want to share with you my new recipe for the “yummiest green smoothie ever”. I am literally quoting my teenage son after his first sip this morning.
Did you know that drinking a daily green drink is one of the most effective ways to add nutrient-dense foods to your daily diet and establish a solid foundation for well-being? This habit can help boost your energy, immune system and overall health.
If you know me or follow me on Facebook or Instagram, then you already know I am a green smoothie fanatic. I have a green smoothie pretty much every single day. I am always experimenting and creating different combinations to get the best taste and health benefits. I call it my daily super liquid nutrition boost. I’ve got my whole family into the habit of either drinking it right away or grabbing it in a to-go bottle as they rush out the door.
You can certainly drink it in the morning to jump start your day. But also think about having it just before you go to the mall to do some Christmas shopping or to a Christmas party. I promise you that you will not give in to temptation so easily if you’ve had your green smoothie. And you will thank me after the holiday season is over! So here it is…
GREEN APPLE MATCHA SMOOTHIE
- I always keep a few bananas in the freezer for smoothies. It makes the texture come out really smooth and creamy.
- If you wish, you can substitute coconut water or just water in place of the orange juice.
- When I find nice fresh kale, I buy a few bunches to freeze it for smoothies.
- Same with spinach. I never let it go bad in the fridge. I just freeze any extra right away.
- A high speed blender will turn all of the above ingredients into a silky smooth glass of pure nourishment.
- In a smoothie you get the nutritional benefits of the whole fruit or vegetable, including all the fibre.
- If you don’t have frozen bananas, add a tablespoon of chia seeds to get a thicker texture. Chia seeds also help to keep you full longer.
- Make sure to peel the apple, otherwise it does not blend smoothly.