Spiced Hummus with an Indian Twist2018-02-20
- Yield : 2.5 cups
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 20m
In Greece & the Middle East, it’s no secret that hummus is king and falafels are ever so popular! They are also used in stews and snacks in Africa and the Middle East. Hummus provides you with protein, iron, fibre and a number of essential vitamin and minerals, and while it can be high in fat (depending on the amount of olive oil and tahini used), it is mostly heart-healthy unsaturated fats.
The sun-dried tomatoes add a tasty tartness, which is balanced by the earthiness of the spices and sweetness of balsamic vinegar and honey.
- 1 19-ounce (540ml) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbs sundried tomatoes in olive oil
- 3-4 cloves roasted garlic (roast at 375F for 15 minutes wrapped in foil)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2-3 Tbsp E V olive oil plus 1-2 Tbs water as needed
- Drizzle of honey or maple syrup to balance the tartness
Process everything in a food processor for about 30 seconds. Add olive oil and water, process until nice and smooth.