A lemon a day…
Lemons are acidic on their own but are highly alkaline inside our bodies.
As the old adage goes, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” But new evidence is suggesting that regularly adding lemon to your diet has many added health benefits that can, indeed, keep you healthy and away from the doctor’s office.
A glass of warm lemon juice first thing in the morning can do wonders for your metabolism, helping to jump start your day on the right track while keeping you healthy from the inside out. It’s easy to make: squeeze about half of a lemon into a mug of warm or hot water and stir to evenly distribute the lemon. Now you’re ready to reap the healthy rewards! But don’t forget to rinse your mouth thoroughly right afterwards to protect the enamel on your teeth from the acidity.
Lemons are acidic on their own but are highly alkaline inside our bodies. They are also naturally rich in vitamin C, which helps boost your immune system while giving your skin a clear complexion. They also contain significant amounts of pectin fibre, calcium and potassium, and contain both antibacterial and medicinal properties when consumed. Some of the health benefits of lemon water:
- Aids in weight loss efforts. Because lemons contain high amounts of pectin fibre, they can help curb your appetite throughout the day.
- Helps achieve better digestion. Lemon water helps flush out the harmful toxins stored in our bodies and encourages the liver to produce more bile, which is an acid needed for proper digestion.
- Lets you breathe better. A glass of warm lemon water can ease coughs and help rid your body of chest infections. It might also help those suffering from allergies, or asthma.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties. Because lemon juice helps to dissolve uric acid, you will experience a decrease in the pain and stiffness associated with joint inflammation.
- Helps soothe your mind. When you become agitated or stressed your body uses your levels of vitamin C, so keeping this vitamin coursing through your body can help ease stress for more stable mood regulation.
- Balance your pH levels. Lemons are one of the most alkaline foods around, and help neutralize the acids in your body so you maintain a healthy balance for overall health.
- Acts as a diuretic. Drinking lemon water helps to stimulate the rate of urination in our bodies, meaning toxins leave the body quicker. This can also help with losing weight, ridding your body of excess water.
- Keeps your skin clear. Lemon water has been shown to help prevent wrinkles and acne, providing you with a clear complexion and rosy, healthy glow.
If you have time to prepare more than a warm glass at a time, try mixing up a pitcher of lemon water for use all through the day. Fill a large pitcher with water, squeeze in the juice from three lemons and refrigerate. Pour into a microwave-safe mug and heat when you’re ready to drink it. For an extra health boost, you can drop a thinly sliced cucumber into the water with some mint leaves, in addition to the lemon. Drinking lemon water in the morning (or throughout the day) is a simple, healthy way to really increase your metabolism, appearance and overall health.